Friday 25 November 2011

Loan window closed

So the loan window has closed and saw late loan deals out of the club for Will Antwi (Grimsby) and Charlie Henry (Aldershot). I can see the logic in both of those deals for Luton. Charlie needs to play games and if he can get that in the Football League then it can only be a benefit. As far as Will is concerned, he didn't do a bad job when he was playing during our spell of the long defensive injury list, but the arrival of Kovacs has left him unlikely to get a game here now and if Janos stays beyond January, and Will does OK at Grimsby, the move may well be made permanent.

I  made a statement last week after the Northampton victory about Adam Watkins, that I felt he was ready for regular starts. I made this comment after seeing him make a big difference to the play in a few games, and certainly in an air of euphoria after he had scored the winner over the Cobblers, but after checking some match notes, I noticed that he has always starred coming on as a substitute whereas when he has started he has struggled to get into the game early on, and has not played as well overall. I began to wonder whether perhaps Brabs has got it right with him, and that he gets the best out of the player as a substitute. If so there has to be a reason and I believe I have found it.

A source close to the player revealed that Adam suffers from nerves before a game and it takes him a while to shake them off when he starts but when he is on the bench he doesn't know when or even if he will be used and so has no time to think about it and therefore just gets on with it. That would answer a lot of questions including why Brabs has said in the past that he wants to bring him along slowly. Well there you go - what do I know? I guess that's why Brabs gets the big bucks and I am looking for a job!

2 comments:

  1. Scotty, your blog is generally supportive of Brabin but you haven't said so explicitly.

    Simply, do you think he is the right man to get the club promoted this season? No equivocating now!

    I think that this is a different question to whether he should be sacked or not. My head says stick with it because he has only had a short time as manager. (Although my heart says he is not going to get us promoted either this season or next. He is still learning and the education is proving to be expensive.)

    I must confess it's a bit of a chore going to see Luton at the moment. Maybe it's just me getting older...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am only supportive in as much as he is the man in charge at the moment. I am not totally convinced that he can get us up. I am not a fan of his tactics to try not to lose first and foremost especially away from home. Today at Newport he went for it and got a result with positive changes from the bench. However, with the squad we have got I fell we should be 'going for it' against any team in this league from the off, home and away. He has been Conference manager of the season before so he knows the League very well. I sometimes think that he adopts the safety first tactics due to pressure from the fans but if fear of losing transfers to the players that can't be good for confident football. We have drawn too often in games we should have won.

    ReplyDelete